MONIQUE SOURINHO - food photographer, stylist, recipe developer, and professional taste tester. Nothing fills my cup more than connecting with like-minded people (especially over a great meal). To learn more click here.
These Grilled Salmon and Beetroot Hummus Bowls are a colorful, visual delight, and will leave you and your guests feeling satiated and energized. It is bright and citrusy thanks to lemon zest, and has a gentle tang from the quick-pickled onions. The roasted beets tossed with a splash of olive oil and maple syrup add an earthy sweetness. Meanwhile, the grilled salmon delivers smoky tones, and flaky textures. Alongside, the beetroot hummus provides a creamy base to scoop from. And finally, the hemp seeds offer a subtle nuttiness, whereas the dill and mint leaves elevate the freshness of the overall dish to the next level.
On that note, to try for yourself, please scroll onwards.
Grilled Salmon and Beetroot Hummus Bowls
TOTAL TIME: 50-60 MIN
Quick, Gently Pickled Onions:
PREP TIME: 15 MIN
INACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Quick-pickle the onions by adding the sliced red onion and placing inside an air-tight jar. Fill the jar with red wine vinegar, then top with boiling water. Seal with a lid, then allow to marinate while preparing the remainder of the recipe (or for at least 30 minutes).
- Afterwards, place the jar into the fridge to chill. They should hold for about a week.
Roasted Beet Mixture:
- 5-6 baby roasted beets, sliced into wedges
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 2-3 Tbs lemon juice
- Using a small mixing bowl, toss together the beets, maple syrup, and lemon juice until evenly coated, then set aside until ready to plate.
Crispy Skin Grilled Salmon:
PREP TIME: 10 MIN
COOK TIME: 6-8 MIN
- 1 1/4 lb. salmon, skin on and divided into 4 filets
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs Evermill Blend (or dry rub of preference)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a grill for medium heat. Rub salmon with olive oil and season both sides with sea salt, pepper, and Evermill Blend (or dry rub of choice).
- Clean and oil the grate, then immediately place salmon on the grill, skin side down. Cover and grill, without turning, until skin is lightly charred and the flesh is opaque or to preferred doneness, 6–8 minutes. Transfer salmon to a platter; let cool slightly before plating.
Assembling Grilled Salmon and Beetroot Hummus Bowls:
PREP TIME: 15-20 MIN
- 1 cup Beetroot Hummus (or hummus of preference)
- 4 filets grilled salmon
- 5-6 baby roasted beets (sliced into wedges, then tossed with 1 tbs maple syrup and 2-3 Tbs lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup pickled onions
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup torn dill
- 1 medium lemon, zested
- 3 Tbs hemp seeds
- 2 tsp flaky finishing salt
- Divide the hummus amongst 4 dinner plates, then center the grilled salmon fielts on top of each bed of hummus. Next, divide the roasted beet mixture, and spoon along the sides of the salmon.
- Afterwards, divide and layer the pickled onions, mint, and dill on top of the beets.
- Finally, garnish with lemon zest, hemp seeds and finishing salt. At least, share and enjoy!