MONIQUE SOURINHO - food photographer, stylist, recipe developer, and professional taste tester. Nothing fills my cup more than connecting with like-minded people (especially over a great meal). To learn more click here.
Not only is this recipe for tomato soup dear to me because of memories it’s linked to, but taste wise, this vegan soup is surprisingly creamy! It is savory and slightly sweet, and is jam packed with nutrients from superfoods like dates and cashews! It is fantastic alone or paired with a comforting grilled cheese! Bonus points for garnishing with micro greens! Though, no matter what you choose, it is sure to please!
“Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite.”— Auguste Escoffier
Red Pepper, Tomato & Creamy Cashew Soup
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about one cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- 2 tsp pink sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 small lemon
- 6 cups fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock (more or less to thin out the consistency of the soup)
- Soak the pitted dates and raw cashews in 2 cups of water, or just until covered by an extra inch of water hot water for at least 30 minutes (or soak overnight in the fridge with room temperature water for maximum nutrient retention.)
- When ready, prepare the onion, red pepper and garlic. Bring a large pan to medium heat and add the avocado oil.
- Transfer the diced onion and red pepper then season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 6-9 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Afterwards, add the garlic and give another stir. Squeeze the juice of lemon on top and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents to a high speed blender or food processor. Drain the soaked cashews and dates then transfer into the blender as well.
- Add the vegetable stock and fire-roasted tomatoes then blend until silky smooth (about 5-6 minutes). Taste test accordingly. Finally, enjoy!
For more delicious recipes to create or pair alongside, visit the Kitchen Journal.